At Woodlawn, all students are actors, musicians, speakers, and dancers. We celebrate the performing arts, appreciating how they challenge and affirm students, and find ways to integrate various forms of performance into academic core classes. In addition, dance and music are taught weekly in lower school and offered as enrichment courses in middle school. In upper school, students have multiple elective offerings in music, theatre, and dance as well as opportunities throughout the year to share their talents.
Woodlawn's theatre company, the Red Barn Players, was founded in 2008. The Red Barn Players produce one upper school and one middle school production each year. Students are involved in all aspects of production: direction, design, acting, technical direction, and stage management.
Red Barn Players productions:
- The Phantom Tollbooth (Spring 2008)
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Spring 2009)
- The Curious Savage (Fall 2009)
- Big Bad (Spring 2010)
- The Iliad, the Odyssey, and all of Greek Mythology in 99 Minutes or Less* (Winter 2011)
- The Mysterious Case of the Missing Ring (Spring 2011)
- Over Coffee** (Fall 2011)
- Magick with a K (Winter 2012)
- The Wait (Spring 2012)
- The Hungry Games ** (Winter 2013)
- Snow White and the Seven Buskers (Spring 2013)
*Student-directed and produced
**Student-written and produced