The main house on the Woodlawn campus is a 2-story Planter's home built between 1835 and 1840, most likely 1836. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The architectural details are common to the transitional Federal - Greek Revival style often built in the Piedmont area of North Carolina at that time. It was built by Dr. George Washington Stinson, a planter and trustee of Davidson College. The original structure consisted of 8 rooms (each with its own fireplace and mantle) on 2 levels off center hallways. The two-and-a-half story staircase features a walnut, spiral-turned handrail believed imported from Charleston.
Tradition relates that Dr. Stinson's home was popular among the Davidson students, not only because he had several eligible daughters, but also because he permitted square dancing, which was strongly discouraged by the Presbyterians of the day. Stinson was a member of Centre Presbyterian Church, where he and his wife are buried. Their son, Edgar Burett Stinson, graduated from Davidson in 1856, fought in the Civil War, and then returned to the family home where he later died. The house remained in the Stinson family until the twentieth century.
The barn on the eastern edge of the property was believed built around 1910. During the mid-1900s, it housed several mules that were used in farming the fields.
In 1981, an upstairs bathroom was installed, heat pumps were placed into service, and the front porch was restored. In 1985, a significant, architecturally compatible addition was made to the back of the house. This included a kitchen and breakfast area, bathroom, and wraparound deck. The carriage house was also constructed at this time, and the nearby potting shed was finished in the early 1990s. In 2003, the house was renovated for use by the school, and was dedicated as Stinson Hall, in honor of its builder.