MOORESVILLE, N.C. – October 15, 2020 – Woodlawn School, an independent K-12 school noted for project-based learning and academic excellence, has named Alexis Hornbuckle as its Girls Basketball Coach. Hornbuckle brings a tremendous resume to Woodlawn, having played 11 years of professional basketball in the WNBA and internationally. In college, she won two NCAA championships playing under the legendary coach, Pat Summitt, at the University of Tennessee.
I write to bring you an update on our progress and planning for re-opening the campus in the fall. As you know, the public health situation in our region and throughout the southeastern US has deteriorated in the last few weeks. No doubt, it will continue to change in the seven weeks between now and the August 20th start of the school year.
We stand in community and solidarity with all who fight black inequality. We are collectively committed to making progress in this vital work.
Read our statement on diversity and inclusion.
That is why I chose to make racism the central focus of the most important Woodlawn speech of the year, Graduation, to show that fighting racism pertains directly to the school's mission and the work we share, educating leaders who will activate the words of our mission.
Dear Woodlawn Community,
Winter 2020 was nothing less than spectacular for our Woodlawn Community. Our booster club thought it would be hard to beat our fall 2019, but in Woodlawn spirit and culture we had an amazing Winter!
I want to thank our school administrators, teachers, and volunteers…the fall and winter of 2019-2020 has surpassed the booster club’s vision we set out to accomplish back in the summer of 2019, and we could not do this without your support and help! We expect next year, when we are all back on campus, to be even greater and filled with many more amazing accomplishments!
More Articles ...
- Woodlawn Selects Paul Capodanno as School's Athletic Director
- Paul Zanowski Selected as Head of School
- McGeough Selected as NCISAA 1A Cross Country Athlete of the Year
- Bob Shirley Honored with 2018 SAIS Distinguished Service Award
- Two Seniors Named 2019 National Merit Commended Students
- Seven graduates named Advanced Placement Scholars
- Woodlawn Ranks #2 in NC 1A Schools: 2017-2018 Wells Fargo Cup Rankings
- Berini Honored as NCISAA 1A Cross Country Athlete of the Year